What is Argan Oil?
Argan oil known as “liquid gold” or “Moroccan miracle oil” is an oil that’s extracted from argan nuts of the Argan (Argania spinosa) tree native to southwestern Morocco. Argan oil has been used for centuries in Morocco For multi purposes such as a cosmetic oil to maintain a fair complexion, to cure skin pimples and to treat skin diseases because of its healing properties. In addition it has been used for culinary reasons to add a nut flavor and also been used against rheumatism and healing burns.
Then research figured out that Argan oil is incredible for hydration purposes as well as its anti-aging properties from the extremely antioxidant-rich composition.It also helps to control acne and best of all, it doesn’t clog pores.
Argan Oil Extraction
The fruit of the argan tree is small, and round, oval, or conical. A thick peel covers the fleshy pulp. The pulp surrounds a hard-shelled nut that represents about 25% of the weight of the fresh fruit,each nut contains one to three oil-rich argan kernels.
To extract the kernels, The nuts should be dried by workers in the open air and then remove the fleshy pulp.Other producers remove the fleshy pulp mechanically without drying the fruit, removed flesh is used to feed animals.
The next step is about cracking the argan nut to obtain the argan kernels.Berber women do this process by hand because it was unsuccessful to mechanize this process,which make making it a time-consuming, labour-intensive process.
For cosmetic argan oil berber Women grind and press not roasted nut. The brown_coloured mash expels pure, unfiltered argan oil. Finally, they decant unfiltered argan oil into vessels. The remaining press cake is protein-rich and frequently used as cattle feed and also in beauty tips.
The decanted argan oil is left to rest about two weeks so that solids suspended in the argan oil settle to the bottom. The clearer argan oil is further filtered, depending on the required clarity and purity. Pure argan oil may contain some sediment.
Argan oil properties and composition
- Tocopherols (Vitamin E) : a class of organic chemical compounds.
- Polyphenols / Ferulic Acid : Organic compounds containing more than one phenol group; responsible for the color and flavor of some fruits and vegetables; may have antioxidant properties.
- Phytosterols : Plant sterols and stanols that inhibit the absorption of cholesterol from the small intestine and, in effect, lower low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in humans.
- Triterpene : Any of various unsaturated hydrocarbons, C10H16, found in essential oils and oleoresins of plants such as conifers and used in organic syntheses.
- Squalene : A hexaisoprenoid (triterpenoid) hydrocarbon; intermediate in the biosynthesis of cholesterol and other sterols and triterpenes; found in shark oil and in some plants.
- Fatty Acids :A large group of monobasic acids found in animals and plants,the fatty acid containing in argan oil are:
Why to use argan oil?
1. It’s your perfect natural moisturizer:
used as a skin moisturizer to hydrate and soften skin. Rich with vitamin E and fatty acid , argan oil is the ideal product to give the skin a natural boost. Argan oil balances out your natural oil production, it absorbs easily and it won’t grease up oily skin or clog pores, which makes it a great natural moisturizer.
2. It’s an anti-aging product.
In addition to it’s effective moisturizing properties, it can also give skin a youthful glow and reduce the visibility of wrinkles. Thank’s to it’s anti-oxidant effect, argan oil is the perfect anti-aging product. It restores elasticity and leaves skin feeling plumper and softer
3. It’s an ideal hair conditioner and styling agent
Used as a very effective overnight deep conditioning treatment for dry and brittle hair,it is proven to make hair softer, silkier and shinier, and it can even help to treat split ends and tame frizzy hair. Argan oil can also used as a styling agent
4. It’s an acne healing oil
The triterpenoids ingredient found in argan oil offer amazing skin protection and health benefits for skin including the treatment of mild acne and the healing of acne-related scarring. Argan oil is non-greasy and lower sebum levels in oily skin which helps in balancing skin by providing natural moisture.Anti-oxidants in argan oil aid to heal damaged skin cells and decrease inflammation.
5. It’s a dermatitis fighter
Argan oil reduce inflammation ,rashes and itchiness caused by eczema or atopic dermatitis. The vitamin E and fatty acids in argan oil are excellent for repairing damaged skin and providing it with nutrients which will prevent further dryness and irritation.Fatty acids in argan oil help o lock moisture in the skin and protect cell integrity.
6. It’s a razor bumps eliminator
Razor bumps and razor burn are uncomfortable and hideous. Thanks to it’s anti-inflammatory properties argan oil can soothe and heal those bumps for men after shaving, as well as women for their legs and bikini line.
7. It’s a stretch marks protector
Argan oil help preventing stretch marks during pregnancy or from rapid weight gain by softening and strengthening skin.Vitamin E in this oil aid to increase the elasticity of skin and keeping it hydrated.
9. It helps with dandruff and dry scalp
Argan oil is a great moisturizer and can be used to fight both dandruff and dry scalp as it’s extraordinarily high in vitamin E and antioxidants.
10. It helps with Foot, Hand and Nail Treatment
Softening properties in argan oil are ideal for brittle nails, dry hands and cracked, hard skin on feet. Argan oil can moisturizes and softens skin at the same time, leaving hands and feet supple and soft and nails strong and healthy.
11. It’s a lip moisturizer
In cold or dry weather lips become chapped,sore and cracked. Argan oil is your ideal product to heal and protect lips from this problems, it helps them to stay soft, smooth and conditioned.